24.01.2015

Jumpin'Journal - pages of a diary (II)

"Popularity is the slutty cousin of prestige."

     Let's go back in highschool, a period of time so important for every person's development, a time for questions, confusion, discoveries, competitivity, a period that marks everyone in one way or another. We've watched so many movies showing the american highschool life, we see the popular boys and girls, the jocks and the cheerleaders, the nerds, the outsiders and we realise that almost everywhere is the same; highschool is a very hard period of time. If it was for me I would recommend highschool to be attended when we are 25-30 years old, this is how hard it can be going through this hell of a phase.

Kalithea Therme, Rodos

     It's a time for labels and bullying, for superficial values, but hopefully there is also a silver lining, a time for good, healthy friendships and beautiful romantic love stories. But what I wanna talk about today is popularity. Let's be honest, we all wanted at a certain time to be popular in highschool. We know how important are the looks, the car, the clothes, the people you're hanging with, but all of this is such a shallow way of going through adolescence, without parent's money the popular ones wouldn't be anything else but empty recipients. And still we all wanted to be in the limelight for a reason or other. As the years go by I realise being popular is just as ephemeral as the smoke of a cigarette that back then the cool ones were sneaking around the corner to inhale.
     This is when I realise that having prestige is a whole new page of the book. There is such a big difference between being popular and being prestigious. Having your work appreciated by relevant people, offering unselfish help, being a respectful person is much more rewarding than being popular. Leaving a mark in a certain domain of activity or being noted for the contribution brought to a discovery, touching someone's life in a positive, uplifting way, these are things that really, truly matter.
     Living in a world dominated by non valors is very easy to lose yourself in the abundance of information, people and places. They say the future belongs not to the strongest one but to the most adaptable to change. Well, I come and ask: what is this suppose to mean? Should I change as a cameleon from a day to another, just to keep up with the changes? It feels false and antagonic compared with staying true to yourself, right?! And if I would want to survive and so become flexible, that means I approve being false and narcissistic, selfish, hedonistic. Well I dare to say every person has the right to live their lives the way they please as long as they don't influence negatively the ones around.

Lindos Beach, Lindos, Rodos(1), Kalimera Kriti Hotel, Sissi, Crete(2), Vai Beach, Crete(3)

     Let's talk a little bit about friends and friendships. Being friends lost its main purpose. Too many people are pretending to be so called friends but actually having hidden interests. They say you see who your true friends are when you hit rock bottom. You see their true faces when you need somebody's help the most. It use to be a time in my life when I used to say that I have so many diverse friends and they are all the kind of people I could call at 3 in the morning from the middle of nowhere and they will rush to help me. Aw, well, as time passed by my so called "friends" got sifted the same way as you do with flour through a sieve. Every relation, either is a friendship, a partnership or love, it has to have, in my opinion, 3 solid bricks at its ground: understanding, respect and trust. Friends should not judge each other but listen and support, they should not gossip each other but trust each other and respect their privacy. They should accept each other and learn from one another.
     I met many types of people, some of them became my summer friends, others just acquaintances, good friends that I have since I was in primary school and many many more. Every friendship is different, with some you can be friends for life, with others for a short period of time and with others you just grow apart slowly but surely.

Kalithea Therme, Rodos

     Now I arrived at the point where I can honestly say: who left, left, who stayed, stayed, who will come, will come. I'm gonna enjoy the very present moment, learning from the past and keeping an eye on the future - balance restored. I will spend my time with people that I love, people that care about me truly and not waste any other second with cheap people.

     "I no longer have patience for certain things, not because I've become arrogant, but simply because I reached a point in my life where I don't want to waste more time with what displeases or hurts me. I have no patience for cynicism, excessive criticism and demands of any nature. I lost the will to please those who not like me, to love those who do not love me and to smile at those who do not want to smile at me.
     I no longer spend a single minute on those who lie or want to manipulate. I decided not to coexist anymore with pretense hypocrisy, dishonesty and cheap praise. I do not tolerate selective erudition nor academic arrogance. I do not adjust either to popular gossiping. I hate conflict and comparisons. I believe in a world of opposites and that's why I avoid people with rigid and inflexible personalities. In friendship I dislike the lack of loyalty and betrayal. I do not get along with those who do not know how to give a compliment or a word of encouragement. Exaggerations bore me and I gave difficulty accepting those who do not like animals. And on top of everything I have no patience for anyone who does not deserve my patience." Source

Kounopetra, Kefalonia(1,3), Ancient Acropolis of Same, Sami, Kefalonia(2)

     The pictures in this post were taken in Kalithea Therme and Lindos on Rhodes Is., two very beautiful places where you can relax, sunbathe or explore the surroundings, places I totally recommend for a may/september getaway otherwise are pretty busy during the summer months; other pics were taken on Kalimera Kriti beach and Vai beach on Crete Is. -  Crete is the biggest and southern island of Greece and it's a marvelous place with so many attractions, from long sandy beaches to high mountains, caves and gorges, from mosques and castles to shopping malls, lakes, monasteries, lagoons and many other. It is a must see.
     Last but not least the last colaj is composed by pictures taken on the wild, stunning island of Kefalonia, a great holiday retreat for young and elderly and especially for those nature lovers.

    Catch the first Jumpin'Journal post HERE!

Discover some good music for the road below:


To be continued


Beldi

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu